Chastain - Mystery Of Illusion (1985) (Divebomb Records Edition 2020)

hudební novinky 2020 / music news 2020
Užívateľov profilový obrázok
Horex
Metalový král
Metalový král
Dátum registrácie: 21 Feb 2013, 19:14
Kontaktovať užívateľa:

Príspevokod užívateľa Horex » 24 Feb 2023, 06:43

Obrázok

Obrázok

Obrázok

Obrázok

Obrázok

Obrázok

Year : 1985 (Divebomb Records Edition 2020)
Style : Heavy Metal , Power Metal , Female vocals
Audio : 320 kbps + all scans
Size : 115 mb

Bio:

Chastain is a Power/heavy metal project formed in 1984 by guitarist David T. Chastain.The band was put together in 1984 by Mike Varney, president of Shrapnel Records for a David T. Chastain solo album. Varney had noticed the shred guitar ability of Chastain, member of the Cincinnati-based band CJSS and, at the same time, he wanted to create an output for the talent of young singer Leather Leone, formerly with the San Francisco band Rude Girl.The first band line-up included Leone, Chastain, CJSS bassist Mike Skimmerhorn and drummer Fred Coury, who would later play in Cinderella. In 1986, Chastain readily declared that "I could never work with these people on a full-time basis because they live all over the country (...). We just get together once a year, record an album and then go off and do our own things".In the case of Chastain, he wrote music for CJSS and his solo albums, as well as producing other artists and managing his own record label.Their debut album Mystery of Illusion was released worldwide in 1985, followed by Ruler of the Wasteland (1986) and The 7th of Never (1987). Drummer Ken Mary (Fifth Angel, TKO) replaced Coury from 1986 to 1988. The fourth album The Voice of the Cult was released in 1988. On 1990's For Those Who Dare, new virtuoso bass player David Harbour replaced Skimmerhorn and drummer John Luke Hebert replaced Mary, who went to play for Alice Cooper. Having put on hiatus CJSS to favour the more commercially successful Chastain, the band became also David T. Chastain main touring occupation, with a succession of world tours until 1991.After some years of quiescence, when David T. Chastain dedicated his time to other solo projects, in 1995 appeared Sick Society and in 1997 In Dementia, which were recorded with a new cast: Kate French on vocals, Kevin Kekes on bass and former Trouble member Dennis Lesh on drums.Until the appearance of the 2004 album, In an Outrage the band disappeared again. The line-up for this album, in addition to David Chastain and singer Kate French, saw also her husband, Larry Howe and Dave Starr (both ex-Vicious Rumors) on board.

Album:

I remember the day I saw the advertisement of Shrapnel Records in one of the first magazines of the German Metal Hammer. Trauma: Scratch and Scream! Hexx: No Escape! Griffin: Flight of the Griffin! And last but not least: Chastain: Mystery of Illusion! I suddenly realized that this was an outstanding moment in my metal fan existence – four power/speed metal albums in one swoop. Four! Four! What an almost surreal number back in 1984. Okay, today we get four new interesting metal albums every hour, but this was quite different almost 40 years ago. The only problem was: these distant jewels were not licensed in Germany and to buy imports was a very expensive business for a pupil like me who was chronically short of cash.Well, today all these albums have found their way to my metal buddy and me and Chastain’s debut sounds still fresh, honest and, sorry for that, slightly narcissistic every now and then. It was the time of guitar heroes and David was obviously a fan of his own solos. Apart from the soft beginning, his (surely virtuoso) guitar solo is the rather average part of “I Fear No Evil”, an actually strong track. Due to its straight and direct design, it hits the bull’s eye. But after all, it’s not David who gives the album its most characteristic feature. This is, of course, Leather’s ingenious voice. She was and still is the best female voice in metal. She sounds powerful, but still like a woman and not like a man or a dog with sore throat (greetings to Holy Moses in this context). Moreover, leather does every song justice, her vocals are flexible and they reinforce the individual atmosphere of each and every tune.38 years after its first release, “Mystery of Illusion” is a document of an early, original kind of power metal with some speed metal ingredients. Some galloping guitars show up, some uptempo parts increase the dynamic. Chastain writes in the line notes that the musicians were heavily influenced by Dio and Sabbath, but when listening to the record, it gets quickly clear that they were able to transform their inspirations into something of their own. The material has a profound heaviness, it avoids an overly radio-friendly number and stands on its own feet. Additionally, the production puts all instruments and, of course, Leather’s contribution into the right light. Given these facts, it’s no surprise that the debut has withstood the test of time, even though it does not hold the best songs of the band, at least in my humble opinion. Especially “The Black Knight”, the opener that Chastain calls the “hit” of the album, kicks off the album in a rather ordinary way.Anyway, there are no real downers as well and the four-piece masters the balladic sequences as well as the heavy parts. For those who do not know the material so far, I recommend to lend an ear to the representative title track with its emotional beginning, the typical Chastain riffing, the surprisingly present bass guitar, the well designed chorus and naturally Leather's brilliance. The more I listen to this track or the speedy "I've Seen Tomorrow", the more I think it’s time for a little Shrapnel Records retro session.

Line Up:

Leather Leone - Vocals (ex-Leather, ex-Sledge Leather, Leather Leone, ex-Malibu Barbi, ex-Rude Girl)
David T. Chastain - Guitars (CJSS, David T. Chastain, ex-Counterpoint, ex-Spike, ex-Zanister, ex-Michael Harris)
Mike Skimmerhorn - Bass (CJSS, ex-Spike, ex-Animal)
Fred Coury - Drums

Tracklist:

01. Black Knight 03:21
02. When the Battle's Over 03:42
03. Mystery of Illusion 04:31
04. I've Seen Tomorrow 03:01
05. Endlessly 03:25
06. I Fear No Evil 04:37
07. Night of the Gods 05:09
08. We Shall Overcome 03:53
09. The Winds of Change 05:17
10. Mystery of Illusion (demo version) 04:32 (Bonus Track)
11. The Winds of Change (demo version) 05:14 (Bonus Track)

Obrázok Obrázok

Download links for all albums only on our blog here: http://goodmetalandhar.do.am/

Obrázok

Download links for all albums only on our blog here: http://goodmetalandhar.do.am/
Odkazy na stažení všech alb naleznete pouze na našem blogu zde: http://goodmetalandhar.do.am/

Návrat na "NOVINKY 2020 / NEWS 2020"

Kto je prítomný

Užívatelia prezerajúci toto fórum: Žiadny pripojení užívatelia a 9 neregistrovaných