Slingblade - The Unpredicted Deeds Of Molly Black (2011)

hudební novinky 2011 / music news 2011
Užívateľov profilový obrázok
Horex
Metalový král
Metalový král
Dátum registrácie: 21 Feb 2013, 19:14
Kontaktovať užívateľa:

Príspevokod užívateľa Horex » 24 Feb 2023, 12:54

Obrázok

Obrázok

Obrázok

Obrázok

Obrázok

Obrázok

Year : 2011
Style : Heavy Metal , Female vocals
Audio : 320 kbps + all scans
Size : 116 mb

Bio:

Slingblade from Stockholm released their debut 7" single on High Roller Records in 2010. Now it's time for their first lonplayer with the interesting title of "The unexpected Deeds of Molly Black". Kristina Karlsson is quite satisfied with how the 7" single was judged by the public: "As it was the first release from the band, it received some attention that was all good actually. We had some great reviews and I think that in combination with playing the Muskelrock festival the same year gave us a lot of new fans. Somebody told us we had sold a lot of copies of the single in Åland in the Finnish archipelago. We don’t know why but it is a nice mystery! I think the songs on the single are really good, especially the A-side. It was also great that High Roller Records released it in two designs, a standard, black vinyl and a black/white splatter vinyl." According to the band's female vocalist, Slingblade's musical approach has not changed that much on the album: "No it hasn't, but the songwriting process has been focusing on creating an album with a wide range of songs. With ten songs instead of two you can show a greater variety in the music. There’s much more room to show the fans what the band really is like when recording a full-length album than a two-song single." Kristina gives us some more details about "The unexpected Deeds of Molly Black": "It is a ten song conceptual album, meaning all songs are part of a story. We wanted to grab the feeling of old King Diamond albums, where you have these epic stories as a framework for the songs. I thought having a concept would make the lyric writing process easier but it was a challenge to keep the storyline together." Guitarist Johan Berg adds: "Nevertheless the music should not be compared with King Diamond, but the feeling is absolutely there."Of course Molly Black makes an appearance on the album cover but is she really a fictional character Slingblade invented? Or is there some kind of historic background? Kristina answers: "Molly Black was a priest's daughter that after being abused and bullied in school totally flips and starts murdering her classmates. We have been in contact with her doomed soul and she has let us write about her horrifying fate…" Johan adds: "In the early 1980's there was a girl living in the dark forests of northern Sweden, a daughter of a priest. After being abused and bullied in school she flipped and killed all her classmates, then she suffered a tragic death. After a few years her father found her diary, the writing was terrifying and he soon burned it. But he told a close friend and church member bits and pieces of what his daughter had written. He told him that his daughter wrote about all the abuse she had to put up with. But after a while she stopped and only wrote down the day and date. Eventually she didn’t even write that, but only one sentence, page up and down 'I walk with the demon'. Her father was in despair and soon after that he ended his life." An interesting story indeed …with Kristina Karlsson being the leading voice in Slingblade and the band playing traditional Heavy Metal, it is probably almost inevitable that they get compared to N.W.O.B.H.M. legends like Girlschool, Rock Goddess or (to a lesser extent) Canis Major. Kristina is not quite sure what to make of those comparisms: "Well, this is a complex question that we could … First of all – I don’t think everybody is making that comparison, but I think it is more common in places where a gender mixed line-up is very rare. Secondly, I think this comparison is done by people who are unable or too lazy to actually hear the musical difference between bands. I mean – compare the music and the sound of Girlschool, Rock Goddess, Warlock and ourselves etc ... In my ears they do not sound the same at all. And if they do have any musical similarities, it is not because the singer is female. Blessing or curse – neither I would say, if the comparison is relevant it doesn’t matter if you are compared to a male or female-fronted band. And that should go for the other way round too!" Unmistakeable words!As already mentioned, Slingblade are from Stockholm, a city currently buzzing with good new bands. Kristina gives her view from the inside: "The current scene for Hardrock/Metal has expanded a bit over the last few years I think. From almost only showing Sleaze-style Hardrock bands with Mötley Crüe-wannabees, there are now bands playing more traditional Heavy Metal. And of course we have all the Death/Black/Thrash Metal bands as well. I think for Heavy Metal bands looking to release their music on High Roller Records, it is considered a 'true' Metal label with high quality releases."

Album:

Slingblade is a Swedish band, who released this, their debut album, at the end of 2011. I got hold of it by chance at this year’s Sweden Rock Festival (thanks Mads!) and seriously, I have been listening to it constantly ever since. The band plays totally excellent heavy metal in the old school vein. A touch of Iron Maiden here, a dash of Accept there. Add to that a pound of King Diamond inspired horror story and you have a winner. Simple but inspired.After the first two listens I stayed intrigued. By the third I was won over and the album took on a life of its own and kept on growing. The music is traditional, pure heavy metal, very melodic and based on excellent riffs. The guitar riffs really stand out and drive the album along a steady path. The two guitarists Tobias Ander and Johan Berg have a splendid, heavy crunch to their guitar tone and this adds to the effect. The production is good and gives the album a full sound. Each instrument is clearly audible, resulting in some excellent bass lines from Niclas Svensson.Lead singer Kristina Karlsson has a strong voice. She is able to put ample power into her vocals, making her soar on top of the heavy instrumental base. With each listen her voice grows and it soon becomes clear that she is a perfect fit for the music.The guitar solos is another area where the band shines. The solos are interesting, aggressive and well played throughout, and often the two guitarists trade solos. Outside the solos, the guitar work stays interesting with many cool details in most songs and riffs that invite to headbang along.The music has a good dynamic and I get the clear feeling that the band members enjoy what they are doing. That joy of playing, which shines through, makes it easy to overlook any small issues and just enjoy the music 100%. That the music is derived from many bands that have come before only makes it more impressive that Slingblade is able to create their own sound here and stand out.This is a concept album that reminds me of Scream (the movie) mixed with the demonic edge of a King Diamond horror story. The band captures a certain atmosphere that feels almost suffocating at times and that is pretty cool. The demonic slasher concept could easily have fallen apart but surprisingly it holds up and is convincing all the way through. That is in no small part due to the determined simplicity of the music, which simply speaks to that inner urge to enjoy, headbang and drink beer.All songs play an essential part in the overall concept and there are no fillers on this album. Instant favorites among the songs were Back To Class and Tie her to the Cross.Back To Class has a superb drive, led by a chugging riff and tight drums. The chorus is memorable and so is the excellent dual guitar solo.The erratic and aggressive verses stand in good contrast to the purely melodic chorus in Tie Her To The Cross. The parts are connected by a soaring bridge section. This song is a good example of what is so effective about this band.The Demon opens in a fierce way with a guitar riff that feels like the strings are being ripped from the guitar in the verse section, a bass that dances along and forceful dual vocals that don’t leave much air left in the listener. The song suddenly slows down to an almost doom-esque tread shortly for an instrumental interplay which actually suits the song very well.There is a good attention to detail through the album. Even the TV broadcast at the beginning of Slasher on the Loose is convincing and when it is replaced by a mean guitar riff, headbanging promptly ensues. Excellent chorus in this song as well.Off the Hook is sure to be a live favorite with a repeated chorus that sticks.This Dream Will End quickly establishes a superb atmosphere. It's really hard to sit still during the instrumental passage after the first verse. It has such a strong groove.Molly's Death builds intensity in a fist clenching way. The bridge section where the speed slows down slightly is total melodic bliss, while the verse sections and excellent instrumental interplay between the guitars, bass and drums only build the excitement for the climax. The almost chant-like "Back home in the house where she was born" line works brilliantly in giving weight to the events that happen.Give Back What You Borrow wraps up the concept as The Nature of Evil introduced it at the beginning of the album.There is nothing really new here, just heavy metal played with intensity and vigor, and that is enough for me. Then again something is new, a band like Slingblade doesn’t come along very often. It is rare for a band to capture this feeling in this kind of music and stay convincing. For some inexplicable reason this band had me at hello. That doesn’t happen often and I was able to look past any rough edges they may have and simply enjoy the music for what it is."The Unpredicted Deeds of Molly Black" is a debut that shows seriously high promise for the future. A small headbanging gem for the nostalgic heavy metal fan.I have to see this band live some day.

Line Up:

Kristina Karlsson - Vocals
Johan Berg - Guitars
Tobias Ander - Guitars
Niclas Svensson - Bass (2009-?) - See also: Gates of Ishtar, ex-Decortication, ex-The Everdawn, ex-The Moaning, ex-Throne of Ahaz
Peter Henriksson - Drums

Production:

Recorded At – Studio Gröndahl
Recorded At – Gutterview Recorders
Mastered At – Temple Of Disharmony
Mastered By – Patrick W. Engel
Mixed By – Fred Estby
Producer – Fred Estby, Håkan Sörle, Slingblade
Recorded By – Fred Estby, Håkan Sörle

Tracklist:

01. The Nature of Evil 04:33
02. Back to Class 04:09
03. Tie Her to the Cross 04:07
04. The Demon 04:46
05. Reverend's Daughter 04:34
06. Slasher on the Loose 05:09
07. Off the Hook 04:06
08. This Dream Will End 07:21
09. Molly's Death 04:20
10. Give Back What You Borrow 04:39

Obrázok Obrázok

Download links for all albums only on our blog here: http://goodmetalandhar.do.am/

Obrázok

Download links for all albums only on our blog here: http://goodmetalandhar.do.am/
Odkazy na stažení všech alb naleznete pouze na našem blogu zde: http://goodmetalandhar.do.am/

Návrat na "NOVINKY 2011 / NEWS 2011"

Kto je prítomný

Užívatelia prezerajúci toto fórum: Žiadny pripojení užívatelia a 6 neregistrovaných