Thunder And Lightning - In Charge Of The Scythe (2013)

hudební novinky 2013 / music news 2013
Užívateľov profilový obrázok
Horex
Metalový král
Metalový král
Dátum registrácie: 21 Feb 2013, 19:14
Kontaktovať užívateľa:

Príspevokod užívateľa Horex » 26 Apr 2022, 14:22

Obrázok

Obrázok

Obrázok

Obrázok

Obrázok

Obrázok

Year : 2013
Style : Melodic Power Metal
Audio : 320 kbps + all scans
Size : 130 mb

Bio:

Heavy indeed but with harmony, old-school but not self-limiting traditionals - here are THUNDER AND LIGHTNING from Berlin.Screaming vocals with, tons of riffs, delicate solos and pounding drums are the main reasons for THUNDER AND LIGHTNING being a live band, which nobody can take their eyes and ears of.The quintet exists since 2004, 2005 the debut "Gathering Storm" came out and in 2006 the LP "Written in Stone" followed, Vocalist Norman Dittmar joined THUNDER AND LIGHTNING 2007 and with his unbelievable voice range he was a real enrichment to the band.In 2008, with the new drummer Steve Mittag (Ex-Orth) a line-up was formed, which made it possible to transfer the songs to a new level - now the band is able to present their version of Power / Thrash to the Metal scene, and place it in the glorious line of their archetypes. The new lineup released the album "Purity" in october 2008, which was highly regarded by the press and stated the band high potential and outstanding songwriting.In 2010 another big step came with the “Dimension”, and with it the signing of the first record deal, with Hammersound Records. The album got again great reviews and shows all over europe, like Rock In Schroth Festival, upportshows for THE SWORD and PRO PAIN and clubshows in Austria and Poland THUNDER AND LIGHTNING opened for the heavy metal legend GRAVE DIGGER in late 2011. Bandleader Marc Wüstenhagen, who has worked together with metalacts like WAR FROM A HARLOTS MOUTH and POSTMORTEM in the past, just finished the mix of the new album “In Charge Of The Scythe” which is schedule for a release in august 2013. The album's overarching theme involves the story about a young woman named Mary, who's kills the grim reaper and takes over his duties as the angel of death. Be aware...the band was never so full of energy and packed with surprising ideas - and the rumbling engine is just getting warm...

Album:

Let's make one thing perfectly clear right from the start: I fucking love this album. It, the title track specifically, were my introduction to Thunder And Lightning way back in the day. I listed to the full album on Bandcamp and have followed them ever since. I made references and comparisons to this album in my review of The Ages Will Turn, but this album stands out quite well from their albums following and predating it, first and foremost for the fact that it is a concept album, which - as far as I know - they have not done before or after this. The concept in question is a woman by the name of Mary taking Death's place as the angel of death, Hence the scythe in the album's title.Though with that in mind, it's a bit funny that the opening track isn't a part of that concept. Rather, in addition to being the introduction to the album, it is a fitting introduction to Thunder And Lightning as a band, particularly with the line "o more dragons, no swords, no kings," referring to the typical fantasy themes of most power metal bands. No, Thunder And Lighting's lyrical themes tend to cover many different subjects - hence why their page here on Metal Archives is still left as N/A. They have songs about made-up folk lore and drug addiction, tackling things not many power metal bands even glance at. In fact, In Charge of the Scythe's concept is pretty much the closest Thunder And Lightning gets to a "typical" power metal topic, certainly with it being a more epic tale.But, yes, the album. Booster Shot kicks things off with some good speed and an attitude that really grabs the listener's attention as it introduces you to what you're about to experience, and The Unborn Truth afterwards lets you calm back down now that the formalities are out the way and so you can see what this is all about. This pair of songs is a great way to open the album to give off the high energy people tend to expect from power metal in the first place, as well as a - slightly - slower pace to bring in a mood as well as flexing the capacity to have a longer-than-average song without it feeling like it drags on. There's quite a few of these longer tracks on the album, and most of the time they go along great without feeling like they exist just to pad runtime.Now, one of the very few problems I have with this album is that it's very front-heavy in terms of quality; all the best songs are presented right there in the beginning of things, and then it all sort of frays into less interesting, less impressive songs. The middle of the album is the absolute best, in my opinion, starting with The Last Rite all the way to the title track. The Last Rite starts things with a slower, brooding pace as the lyrics set the scene. The intro of the song takes its time and it really pays off when it gets going. The lyrics are extremely memorable throughout, particularly the line "destiny jumbled an eye for an eye" sticking out in my mind. The energy and tone are excellent, the lyrics brilliantly foreboding, and the end of the song just sounds so good that I think they made it a fade out just to incentivize people to see them live and see how that song properly ends.Since doing track-by-track reviews isn't accepted, I'll just say that Torn in Two is a another good mood-setter with its opening and having some fun energy to it, while the lyrics strike me as the most tragic and mournful of all the songs here. But, after those two very good, very memorable songs, we get to my personal favorite Thunder And Lightning song of all, In Charge of the Scythe! It's a good thing the two prior songs let you breath well enough, because this one blasts off as soon as it can, and it's awesome! The lack of warning or build up is a musical slap in the face in all the best ways. You're paying attention and your headbanging regardless of what your will says. You're Mary's bitch now, just like the rest of the world. This song is just a fantastic, pulse-pounding rush of energy and heaviness that always makes me want to hop into a violent video game or a room-cleaning frenzy. And while it is full of great power, lyrics and runtime, it's not so relentless that we go without a spot to breath. The calming, slower guitars I guess you could say is the eye of the storm, giving you a chance to breath and appreciate what Thunder And Lightning accomplished with this song before you exit the eye and find yourself caught in the storm's blasting force.The Day May Come is a fittingly calmer song after all the ones that led up to it, a sort of aftermath of Mary's ascension to the level of death. It's not as lyrically appealing for me as most of the other songs on this album, but it's good to have that sort of break after such a peak, and there's certainly nothing bad about the song. However, beyond this point is where the album declines for me; the best songs are over and done, now there's just getting to the end. End of the Road kicks of nicely but lacks much power beyond that, but it's followed up by a much more fired up song about a veteran remembering World War II whilst walking along a beach. It's a good song that's full of life and emotion, but it's one of songs that has literally nothing to do with the concept of this concept album. Broadly speaking, I don't mind that, but I do find it weird to have these songs unrelated to the story leading right up to the album's climax. Booster Shot's good both because of it's overall quality and because of its place in the track list; as the opener, it has the freedom of being about pretty much anything it wants to.As for the closing song itself, I do like it quite a bit - Thunder And Lightning have a habit of making really good closing songs - and the guest vocals certainly help it pop, which is even better for a send off to the album, but something about the recording on this one just strikes me as a little bit off, and maybe I'm just crazy and don't know how to listen and hear properly, but I swear the recording is just a bit off somehow. It's still a good song and a good ending, both to the album and the story - even if the story is rather vague through and through - and the album still has a really strong first-half. In the end, what I decided to do was start at 100% and take away one point for all of my major issues with the album.1) The second half lacks the same quality and energy as the first, 2) there are several songs that break away from the story for reasons I don't grasp, and 3) perfection is a matter of perspective, so no matter how much I love or hate this album, there will be those who think more or less of it than I.So, there you have it. Lots of energy and memorable material for a great majority of the runtime, while whatever fat is found here is just some nice and juicy flavor. Give it a whirl or twenty and hail the new Death.

Line-Up:

Norman Dittmar - Vocals (lead)
Robert Rath - Bass
Marc Wüstenhagen - Guitars, Vocals
Benjamin Dämmrich - Guitars
Steve Mittag - Drums - See also: ex-Orth, ex-Agutate

Tracklist:

01. Boostershot 03:15
02. The Unborn Truth 05:58
03. Wheel of Life 04:48
04. The Last Rite 06:31
05. Torn in Two 04:44
06. In Charge of the Scythe 05:36
07. The Day May Come 05:35
08. End of the Road 04:16
09. Soldier's Tired Eyes 05:27
10. Two Sons in My Sky 05:22
11. Shadowlight 07:17

Obrázok Obrázok

Download links for all albums only on our blog here: http://goodmetalandhar.do.am/

Obrázok

Download links for all albums only on our blog here: http://goodmetalandhar.do.am/
Odkazy na stažení všech alb naleznete pouze na našem blogu zde: http://goodmetalandhar.do.am/

Návrat na "NOVINKY 2013 / NEWS 2013"

Kto je prítomný

Užívatelia prezerajúci toto fórum: Žiadny pripojení užívatelia a 12 neregistrovaných