Wytch Hazel (GBR)

Hard Rock, Melodic Rock , AOR , Blues Rock , Glam & Sleaze Rock , West Coast , Christian Rock
Užívateľov profilový obrázok
Horex
Metalový král
Metalový král
Dátum registrácie: 21 Feb 2013, 19:14
Kontaktovať užívateľa:

Wytch Hazel (GBR)

Príspevokod užívateľa Horex » 30 Máj 2023, 15:54

Wytch Hazel - III: Pentacost (2020)

Obrázok

Obrázok

Obrázok

Obrázok

Obrázok

Obrázok

Year : 2020
Style : Hard Rock , Heavy Metal
Audio : 320 kbps + scans
Size : 118 mb

Bio:

Combining the folk-rock eccentricity of Jethro Tull, the mystical harmony of Wishbone Ash & Thin Lizzy, and the exuberance of prime NWOBHM, immersed in sacred medieval influences via David Munrow's Early Music Consort of London; on their debut long-player Prelude, Lancastrian hard rockers WYTCH HAZEL have happened upon an extremely singular and compelling alchemy.As a child the band's founder member and guiding light, singer/guitarist Colin Hendra, played drums in brass bands and orchestras, studied classical piano and sang in the school chamber choir, but at 16 the direction of his life changed forever, after a revelation we can all relate to: "Iron Maiden was the main reason I started playing electric guitar," he reveals. "I remember borrowing The Number Of The Beast off a friend and was just blown away – heavy metal was an obsession from that point on!"Cutting his teeth with Lancaster metalheads Lake Of Fire, Colin discovered sacred vocal music and medieval dance through his college music studies. This, he says, "gave me the distinct vision for the band, its name and image," and lo WYTCH HAZEL was born in early 2011. The quartet released a two-track demo the same year, followed by a couple of seven-inch splits, an appearance at the Swedish festival Muskelrock, and the four-track EP The Truth in 2012. This noble artefact garnered quite a buzz on the UK HM underground, securing WYTCH HAZEL a support slot at Manilla Road's first ever UK live show and was later reissued along with their debut demo as a mini album on High Roller Records.Although visual presentation is important to WYTCH HAZEL - "I would define our look as ‘battle ready’!" says Colin of the band's rustic swashbuckler stage clothes; "Our performance is like a musical fight!" - the priorities are clear. "The songwriting is our thing, that's what we major in," Colin asserts. "In my life that's what I'm best at, that's what I'm most passionate about. But you've also got to record that well, with clarity, and signing to Bad Omen has been a really big thing for us. This album is a massive breakthrough."To capture that clarity with sumptuous atmospheric results, Bad Omen honcho Will Palmer sent WYTCH HAZEL to the renowned rural retreat at Foel Studio in Wales, engaging ex-Purson multi-instrumentalist Ed Turner as producer. "Will and Ed were at one of our first shows," recalls Colin, "and Ed said to Will 'So when are you going to sign them? Because I'll do the album!' This was back in 2011, but I think that was always their plan! Having that outside perspective has been really good for us. Ed's very 60s/70s-minded in terms of sound, which is what we wanted and needed. When it comes to tone, amps and guitars are really the more important ingredient – old cranked Marshall amps are where it’s at!" Accordingly, Prelude is defined by its stately duelling guitars and blissful expressive solos in rousing tunes like infectious opener Freedom Battle, anthemic gallop More Than Conquerors and their fist-throwing eponymous singalong. There's tasteful organ and resonant acoustic guitar, but no gaudy medieval ornamentation distracting from the album's purity and focus. "For me, influence has to be within the composition, within the very make-up of the songwriting," Colin asserts. "We do a lot of the Picardy third - a song in a minor key that ends in the major key - that's a real medieval French technique. I don't know of many other bands with that approach." That's not the only way WYTCH HAZEL stand out from the modern herd. Although we've been saturated with the cartoon diabolism of the 'occult rock' revival, no other band has dared to offer the other side of the story. "I play in a heavy metal band and I write songs about God - it's actually quite a rebellious thing!" chuckles Colin. "Some people found our EP offensive. You can mention God, but when you start singing 'Praise be to God' it gets a little heavier." Whatever your spiritual position, for the creation of Prelude, all praise be to WYTCH HAZEL.

Album:

Drawing musical inspiration from the New Wave of British Heavy Metal bands and spiritual inspiration from Christianity and dragon slaying Medieval England, “III Pentecost” is the new release from WYTCH HAZEL (2012) a swell music group from Lancaster in Old Blighty. While checking the pillaging and looting impulse, they do have some rawk’n sword swingin’ tunes … let’s ‘ave us a listen, right? Beware the great deceiver Angel of Light… ‘He is the Fight’ hits a glancing lick upside the THIN LIZZY kisser and blows holy smoke while delivering a rousing call to arms. Oh Satan has taken a hold on me … ‘I Am Redeemed’ bends a knee towards RAINBOW verse and chorus with some juicy Hammond organ lighting up the canon. ‘Archangel’ chumpa wumpas into a hip shaking beat and by now I am losing track of references to The OG Dirty Bastard, Old Nick his-self.They will raaaawwwt … whew. ‘Dry Bones’ lets Colin breathe deep and hit the brown note, Rob Halford style, for just one note and likewise do a little JUDAS PRIEST dog and pony guitar jig. ‘Sonata’ is a pretty little ditty that gives me a break from the overload devout lyrics then goes snout-down into ‘I Will Not’, an 80’s metal rounder that reminds me of STYX in some way - Colin does sound a wee bit like Tommy Shaw in the pipes. Death is coming … I will not be afraid … ‘Reap the Harvest’ has lovely keyboard flourishes that like the earlier organ parts are left uncredited on this release – shame that one, mates. ‘The Crown’ is pure medieval lyric drivel with lovely acoustic guitar, a gold star for audio engineer and mixologist James Atkinson. Last song ‘Ancient of Days’ is a snooze-fest for me.WYTCH HAZEL is Colin Hendra’s musical vision, a vision driven by his faith in Christ and his religion. I find walking the line between secular pop music and flat out praise and worship music to be a tricky and fault-filled endeavor – never hard enough for the pure rockers while never reaching sufficient adoration for the true believers. I think in some places he has succeeded, in others not … have a listen for yourself. I am confident you can hear the love and devotion the lads put into this release and that’s dench. Pucker there will always be an England and a Dani Bandolier’s Spotify list…

Line-Up:

Colin Hendra - Guitars, Vocals (2011-present) - See also: ex-Angel Witch (live)
Alex Haslam - Guitars
Andy Shackleton - Bass (2019-present) - See also: Insurgency, Wolfthorn, Thy Dying Light (live), ex-Consecrated Flesh
Jack Spencer - Drums

Tracklist:

01. He is the Fight (03:44)
02. Spirit and Fire (04:32)
03. I Am Redeemed (03:52)
04. Archangel (04:22)
05. Dry Bones (05:06)
06. Sonata (03:01)
07. I Will Not (04:01)
08. Reap the Harvest (04:44)
09. The Crown (04:19)
10. Ancient of Days (05:07)

Obrázok Obrázok

Download links for all albums only on our blog here: http://goodmetalandhar.do.am/

Obrázok

Download links for all albums only on our blog here: http://goodmetalandhar.do.am/
Odkazy na stažení všech alb naleznete pouze na našem blogu zde: http://goodmetalandhar.do.am/
Užívateľov profilový obrázok
Horex
Metalový král
Metalový král
Dátum registrácie: 21 Feb 2013, 19:14
Kontaktovať užívateľa:

Re: Wytch Hazel (GBR)

Príspevokod užívateľa Horex » 30 Máj 2023, 15:54

Wytch Hazel - IV: Sacrament (2023)

Obrázok

Obrázok

Obrázok

Obrázok

Obrázok

Year : 2023
Style : Hard Rock , Heavy Metal
Audio : 320 kbps + front
Size : 105 mb

Bio:

Combining the folk-rock eccentricity of Jethro Tull, the mystical harmony of Wishbone Ash & Thin Lizzy, and the exuberance of prime NWOBHM, immersed in sacred medieval influences via David Munrow's Early Music Consort of London; on their debut long-player Prelude, Lancastrian hard rockers WYTCH HAZEL have happened upon an extremely singular and compelling alchemy.As a child the band's founder member and guiding light, singer/guitarist Colin Hendra, played drums in brass bands and orchestras, studied classical piano and sang in the school chamber choir, but at 16 the direction of his life changed forever, after a revelation we can all relate to: "Iron Maiden was the main reason I started playing electric guitar," he reveals. "I remember borrowing The Number Of The Beast off a friend and was just blown away – heavy metal was an obsession from that point on!"Cutting his teeth with Lancaster metalheads Lake Of Fire, Colin discovered sacred vocal music and medieval dance through his college music studies. This, he says, "gave me the distinct vision for the band, its name and image," and lo WYTCH HAZEL was born in early 2011. The quartet released a two-track demo the same year, followed by a couple of seven-inch splits, an appearance at the Swedish festival Muskelrock, and the four-track EP The Truth in 2012. This noble artefact garnered quite a buzz on the UK HM underground, securing WYTCH HAZEL a support slot at Manilla Road's first ever UK live show and was later reissued along with their debut demo as a mini album on High Roller Records.Although visual presentation is important to WYTCH HAZEL - "I would define our look as ‘battle ready’!" says Colin of the band's rustic swashbuckler stage clothes; "Our performance is like a musical fight!" - the priorities are clear. "The songwriting is our thing, that's what we major in," Colin asserts. "In my life that's what I'm best at, that's what I'm most passionate about. But you've also got to record that well, with clarity, and signing to Bad Omen has been a really big thing for us. This album is a massive breakthrough."To capture that clarity with sumptuous atmospheric results, Bad Omen honcho Will Palmer sent WYTCH HAZEL to the renowned rural retreat at Foel Studio in Wales, engaging ex-Purson multi-instrumentalist Ed Turner as producer. "Will and Ed were at one of our first shows," recalls Colin, "and Ed said to Will 'So when are you going to sign them? Because I'll do the album!' This was back in 2011, but I think that was always their plan! Having that outside perspective has been really good for us. Ed's very 60s/70s-minded in terms of sound, which is what we wanted and needed. When it comes to tone, amps and guitars are really the more important ingredient – old cranked Marshall amps are where it’s at!" Accordingly, Prelude is defined by its stately duelling guitars and blissful expressive solos in rousing tunes like infectious opener Freedom Battle, anthemic gallop More Than Conquerors and their fist-throwing eponymous singalong. There's tasteful organ and resonant acoustic guitar, but no gaudy medieval ornamentation distracting from the album's purity and focus. "For me, influence has to be within the composition, within the very make-up of the songwriting," Colin asserts. "We do a lot of the Picardy third - a song in a minor key that ends in the major key - that's a real medieval French technique. I don't know of many other bands with that approach." That's not the only way WYTCH HAZEL stand out from the modern herd. Although we've been saturated with the cartoon diabolism of the 'occult rock' revival, no other band has dared to offer the other side of the story. "I play in a heavy metal band and I write songs about God - it's actually quite a rebellious thing!" chuckles Colin. "Some people found our EP offensive. You can mention God, but when you start singing 'Praise be to God' it gets a little heavier." Whatever your spiritual position, for the creation of Prelude, all praise be to WYTCH HAZEL.

Album:

Recorded with longtime producer Ed Turner (Purson) and tracked in a converted Baptist chapel in rural Wales, the record is a resounding achievement and glittering treasure chest that builds on the momentum of the band's celebrated 2020 album 'III: Pentecost'.For many all-time-great rock bands in the ascendant, the fourth album is often the point where youthful years of febrile creativity and progressive momentum culminate in a masterwork for the ages, setting the seal on an early signature sound while opening it up to future possibilities. From enchanting 2016 debut Prelude, through 2018's assured II: Sojourn, to 2020's wizardly III: Pentecost, each Wytch Hazel album has embodied that old-fashioned notion of unstoppable progress, and the glittering treasure chest that is IV: Sacrament proves eminently worthy of rising to the toughest challenge. Not just the Lancashire quartet's most classically beautiful production, but their strongest yet front-to-back collection of affecting hooks and ageless melodies.A very tough challenge it was, too; records this good don't get banged out willy-nilly, and Jimmy Page, Ian Anderson and Freddie Mercury didn't have to fit recordings in between day jobs and school runs. "This album has been a trial," sighs founding singer/guitarist Colin Hendra with his head in his hands, his voice full of cold. "It's been a tough few years for everyone, which plays into it, but it was exhausting. Working full time, trying to be a dad and husband, running the band, writing the albums - and being a complete control freak about every aspect of the process…" Colin breaks off and chuckles at his Eeyorish approach to album promotion. "But there's no gain without pain!"The triumphs and tragedies are written all over IV: Sacrament. Working closely again with regular producer Ed Turner, Colin's God-given gift for diamond songwriting has been enhanced to majestic proportions with Ed's Roy Thomas Baker doozy of a production job, his expressive sonic trickery sublimely underscoring the varied musical moods. "Me and Ed like the same albums, so we're singing from the same hymn sheet every time," enthuses Colin. "We love the Sabbath production, obviously Martin Birch, and the Queen albums; we want it to sound like Wytch Hazel, which it kind of always does, but we want it to also have that classic sort of quality."Colin describes his working relationship with Ed as "perfectionism amplified. We're a good match but bad at the same time! It takes ages to get an album done, but if it's going to be done we want to do it right." The new studio looked promising: a converted Baptist chapel in rural Wales, chock full of vintage gear. However, with personal reasons forcing drummer Jack Spencer to step back from the band (subsequently departing in September 2022), Colin took on the additional laborious task of completing all the drums himself. As well as all the vocals, lyrics, lead guitar and drums to fret over, there were so many mysteriously blown cabs, amps and vocal cords you might suspect the Devil was trying to stop anyone else getting the best tunes. "I don't know why we have such bad luck," groans Colin. "Engineers were scratching their heads, like 'how have you done this?!'"Now Sacrament is finally offered - and sounds as fantastic as it does after all the blood, toil, tears and sweat - you might think Colin could finally bask in the glory of this resounding achievement, but he's not even fully comfortable taking credit for his own songs. "When I listen back there are multiple times when I'm like, I don't even know how this happened," he ponders. "I know I wrote it, but I don't feel complete ownership over them. It has that sense in which… there's something else, and I'm a part of it." On previous albums, specific influences were readily discernible, and although Angel Of Light tips a nod to Angel Witch and Endless Battle nails the sweet spot between Steeleye Span and Judas Priest, Sacrament's ten songs zero in on a sound and style that's all their own. With assertive, explosive earworms like The Fire's Control, Strong Heart and A Thousand Years and the profound emotive magnetism of Time And Doubt, Deliver Us and Digging Deeper, Wytch Hazel revel in their distinctive Wytch Hazelness. Colin's Christian faith continues to inform much of his lyrical outlook, but there's a disarming openness and emotional force that might have you reaching for the Kleenex."It's some of the most honest songwriting I've ever done," Colin reflects, "and they come from a darker place, I think. I'm getting older, that comes through in some lyrics: 'see my body breaking', 'I'm digging deeper', 'time's running out…' I struggle to see the positive a lot of the time, so the songs end up being negative, the subject matter coming from constant striving." Among all the doomsayer tendencies, gorgeous sylvan acoustic strum Future Is Gold proclaims a radiant optimism, but it's more hope in the eternal than an expectation of earthly improvement. "It's rooted in scripture," Colin explains, referencing the Book of Haggai: 'the glories of this latter house will be greater than the former'. "I struggle to believe that half the time, with the state of the world, but who knows what level that is? Will the afterlife be better, when all suffering has ended, or is what we see as better not actually better? If things are always going comfortably, it isn't always the best thing for us. An element of suffering is necessary." Suffering has clearly been necessary for the creation of the fourth Wytch Hazel album; let's hope for Colin's sake the next one requires a bit less. "I've blown my own mind a bit," he concludes. "And even after all this painstaking work, I still feel like I've only scratched the surface of what we could be doing musically. I wish I could have a month to work on one song, and go on a tangent a bit. I will in the future, it's going in the right direction. I'll get to the stage when I can commit more time and do an odyssey or something!"

Line-Up:

Colin Hendra - Guitars, Vocals (2011-present) - See also: ex-Angel Witch (live)
Andy Shackleton - Bass (2019-present) - See also: Insurgency, Wolfthorn, Thy Dying Light (live), ex-Consecrated Flesh
Alex Haslam - Guitars
Jack Spencer - Drums

Tracklist:

01. The Fire's Control
02. Angel of Light
03. Time and Doubt
04. Strong Heart
05. Deliver Us
06. A Thousand Years
07. Gold Light
08. Endless Battle
09. Future Is Gold
10. Digging Deeper

Obrázok Obrázok

Obrázok

Odkazy na stažení všech alb naleznete pouze na našem blogu zde: http://goodmetalandhar.do.am/

Návrat na "HARD Rock, MELODIC Rock, AOR, BLUES Rock, GLAM & SLEAZE Rock"

Kto je prítomný

Užívatelia prezerajúci toto fórum: Žiadny pripojení užívatelia a 29 neregistrovaných