Sortilége - Phoenix (Digipak Edition) (2021)

hudební novinky 2021 / music news 2021
Užívateľov profilový obrázok
Horex
Metalový král
Metalový král
Dátum registrácie: 21 Feb 2013, 19:14
Kontaktovať užívateľa:

Príspevokod užívateľa Horex » 03 Mar 2023, 07:08

Obrázok

Obrázok

Obrázok

Obrázok

Obrázok

Obrázok

Year : 2021
Style : Heavy Metal
Audio : 320 kbps + all scans
Size : 150 mb

Bio:

1980-1981 (as Bloodwave), 1981-1986 (as Sortilège), 1992 (as Sortilège), 2018-2020 (as Sortilège), 2020-present.Sortilège is a French heavy metal band from Paris, regarded as a cult band of the French scene. The group ceased to exist in 1986 but reformed in 2019.The band was formed in 1981 with Christian Augustin on vocals, Daniel Lapp on bass, Jean-Philippe (Bob) Dumont on drums and Stephane Dumont and Didier Demajean on guitars. Originally, the band's name was Bloodwave.The following year, the quality of their repertoire and their concerts in France improved so they were hired as an opening act for Def Leppard on their tour in France. Since none of the French record labels wanted to offer them a recording contract, they signed for the Netherlands label Rave-On Records.A few months later, the band recorded an EP titled Sortilège which was successful. With this initial success, the band signed to the French record label, Madrigal. A few weeks later, the band went to Germany to record their first album Métamorphose.This was again a success, mainly in France and Germany.With the success of Métamorphose, the band played in many international festivals and became popular in Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland, Belgium and France. Feeling that their French may harm global sales, the band decided to re-record their album Metamorphose in English.However, the English version of the record sold poorly everywhere except in Japan.In 1986, Sortilège released their last album, Larmes de Héros.Like the previous album, it was recorded in Germany. At the same time they recorded an English version, which again sold badly. Tired of the lack of public support, and difficulties encountered in relation to record companies, Sortilège decided to split up in 1986.The band reunited in 2019, and have announced a tour and a new album Phoenix.

Album:

Sortilège! Crafters of S-tier heavy metal in the '80s, they went down because of the lack of interest shown by the ignorant French producers. Are they dead for real?No! Because the Phoenix rises from ashes as the saying goes. This album is marking their come-back. It consists of a remake of old songs, with modern production and new musicians (all original members but the singer have mysteriously disappeared; I don't have the full picture yet). It also features two brand new songs.The first concern would be: does the production hinder the music? Sortilège have three classic albums with a really dirty sound, so the purist would obviously ask for a recreation of such style. But no, the mix is modern (or "generic" as I would coin), and I think everyone agrees upon saying that it doesn't quite capture the grand atmosphere of the original. That said, it's still good, some people like this type of stuff, and defend that the music deserved to have this sound in the first place.Another great concern looming is the vocal performance. Christian Augustin, aka "Zouille", does have a very unique voice, quite powerful and lyrical, able to flirt with the highs. And a delightful timbre. However, he's grown old, of course, 40 years have passed. First I was afraid he would not make it. The tuning went down a half step, some of the higher notes have been removed from the new interpretations, and he lost some expressiveness. Yet, not unlike Rob Halford, his voice got nastier and has more grit. Hearing his raspy screams was instantly engaging, and the high shrieks were a pleasant surprise too.The new musicians - (some of them not really new to the game, since they come from other French '80s bands Satan Jokers and Manigance) - are doing a great job, on guitar especially. The leads are respectfully reproduced as far as I can tell, and you can hear most of the stuff better. But just to quench my thirst for criticism, I'd say that the reinterpretation misses the point of some songs. Songs are played a bit slower overall. For my great sadness, most rhythmic intricacies have been simplified. "D'ailleurs" and "Mourir Pour Une Princess" previously had an odd meter, giving some extra groove when you hear the drums inverting pulse and counter-pulse, but not anymore. I wish "Gladiateur" would have a marching music feel too. The basslines also disappeared, banished to the sub frequencies.While listening to the album my enthusiasm dropped little by little, because of something I haven't even minded in the first place: the setlist. It's all songs I don't really like. And the ones I like are not there either. "Amazone", "Légende", "La Montagne Qui Saigne"... or why not obscure songs from the first demos, like "Galère Des Tenèbres", if you allow me some fantasy. I don't know who picked these songs. Maybe they were the easiest to learn, or Zouille's favorites...This leads me to the new songs. Compositionally, they are ok. The lyrics though... Sortilège are especially interesting to French listeners since they always put great care in choosing their vocabulary and create a story within the song. It usually sounds very well, and I can't say the same about every band. But it just doesn't work on "Phoenix". It is disappointingly idiotic and subpar lyrics-wise. "Toujours Plus Haut" is better. My problem with it is the poppy flavour of the chorus (also it reminds me of the leitmotiv from "Fort Boyard").Conclusions: If you want to listen to a good heavy metal release, you can pick up Phoenix. I've been mostly negative in my review, but that's only because of my high expectations. The aggressive voice of Zouille can make this album stand out. But if you don't know the original Sortilège, I can only advise you to check them asap. In other news, I have recently discovered a new French band, called Furies. They have a lot of potential, and I've seen them on stage with Zouille. So I wonder if they could learn from one another, or even merge the bands. For making new songs at least, so we would have Sortilège's oldish lyrics + newish voice, and Furies' energy and riff/leads-skills. I can dream...

Line Up:

Christian "Zouille" Augustin - Vocals (2020-present) - See also: Sortilège, Zouille & Hantson, ex-Correspondance
Olivier Spitzer - Guitars (2020-present) - See also: ex-Stators, Temple of Silence, ex-Satan Jokers, ex-Black Dog, ex-Brainstorm, ex-Diaspora, ex-Rebel, ex-Scareface, ex-Shakin' Street, ex-Superfiz
Bruno Ramos - Guitars (lead) (2020-present) - See also: ex-Mistreated, Sortilège (live), ex-Manigance
Sébastien Bonnet - Bass (2021-present) - See also: Ego Miss Blinded, Temple of Silence, ex-Zuul Fx
Clément Rouxel - Drums (2021-present) - See also: Duality, Lyzanxia, T.A.N.K, One-Way Mirror, ex-Zuul Fx

Tracklist:

01. D'Ailleurs
02. Progéniture Destructrice
03. Délire D'Un Fou
04. Messager
05. Phoenix (New Track)
06. Majesté
07. Mourir Pour Une Princesse
08. Civilisations Perdues
09. Gladiateur
10. Quand Un Aveugle Rêve
11. Toujours Plus Haut (New Track)
12. Marchand D'Hommes
13. Chasse Le Dragon
14. Sortilège

Obrázok Obrázok

Download links for all albums only on our blog here: http://goodmetalandhar.do.am/

Obrázok

Download links for all albums only on our blog here: http://goodmetalandhar.do.am/
Odkazy na stažení všech alb naleznete pouze na našem blogu zde: http://goodmetalandhar.do.am/

Návrat na "NOVINKY 2021 / NEWS 2021"

Kto je prítomný

Užívatelia prezerajúci toto fórum: Žiadny pripojení užívatelia a 9 neregistrovaných