Richrath - Only The Strong Survive (1992)

hudební novinky 1992 / music news 1992
Užívateľov profilový obrázok
Horex
Metalový král
Metalový král
Dátum registrácie: 21 Feb 2013, 19:14
Kontaktovať užívateľa:

Príspevokod užívateľa Horex » 28 Dec 2020, 17:47

Obrázok

Obrázok

Obrázok

Obrázok

Obrázok

Obrázok

Year : 1992
Style : Melodic Hard Rock , AOR
Audio : 320 kbps + all scans
Size : 158 mb

Bio:

Gary Dean Richrath (October 18, 1949 – September 13, 2015) was an American guitarist, best known as the lead guitarist and a songwriter for the band REO Speedwagon from 1970 until 1989.Richrath wrote many of the REO's songs including "Golden Country" from 1972, Ridin' the Storm Out (1973), "Son of a Poor Man" (1973), "Flying Turkey Trot" (1976), "Only the Strong Survive" (1979) and "Take It On the Run" from 1981.In 1977, he and other members of the band took over production, which resulted in the band's first platinum album.Richrath sang several REO Speedwagon songs including "Find My Fortune" (1973), "Wild as the Western Wind" (1974) and "(Only A) Summer Love" (1976). He left REO Speedwagon in 1989, and released a solo album titled Only the Strong Survive in 1992 under the name "Richrath."On November 22, 2013, REO and Styx announced a benefit concert titled "Rock to the Rescue" to raise money for the affected families of the tornado in central Illinois. The concert was held on December 4, 2013 in Bloomington, Illinois and produced by Jay Goldberg Events & Entertainment. Richrath reunited with REO for a performance of "Ridin' the Storm Out" to end REO's set at the sold-out concert.Richrath stayed on stage to help with the encore of "With a Little Help From My Friends" along with REO, Styx, Richard Marx and others.Richrath was originally from the town of East Peoria which was damaged during the storm. Families affected by the storm and first-responders sat near the stage for this special concert and REO reunion.Richrath died on September 13, 2015; news of his death was confirmed by his former REO Speedwagon associate Kevin Cronin.He was 65.

Album:

This CD really rocks! Gary's awesome and Micheal is a wonderful vocalist. Who needs REO when you can listen to this. Gary Richrath definately knows what he is doing with his guitar and he really rocks. "Outlaws" and "Murder by Suicide" are great tunes, not to meantion Gary's remakes of "Only the Strong Survive" and "In Your Letter". The rest of the CD is definately worth listening to also. Kevin Cronin really lost out on a good thing by moving on without Gary Richrath. I think that all REO fans would like this CD.It's a good AOR album definately comparable to REO Speedwagon.Background The fallout from RED Speedwagon's late 80's era has already been covered here on their 1990 article for 'The Earth...' That Kevin Cronin and REO moved on without guitarist Gary Richrath in early 1989 can be viewed with some ambivalence by supporters of the band. Gary's contribution to REO's success cannot be undervalued, and I think for many midwest supporters, something was lost when REO returned in full with their new lineup. As much as I enjoyed 'The Earth..', it would've been interesting to hear what it sounded like with Richrath onboard rather than Dave Amato; but that's water under the bridge now. Besides, Gary hooked up with Neil Norman (i.e. Norman & Sexton) to release 'Only The Strong Survive', on Norman's GNP Crescendo label during 1992. The foil for Gary's guitar is singer Michael Jahnz. Surprisingly, Gary opts out of the lead vocal role, even though his voice is more than capable if his past REO contributions are anything to go by. There have been some interesting comments on sites like Amazon and CD Universe relating to Jahnz's performance. Some say he sounded too much like Cronin, one bloke even saying his voice was off pitch! I didn't hear any of that to be honest, though I'll admit his voice was higher-pitched and slightly thinner. Helping out with songwriting is Tom DeLuca who provides a handful of co-writes. The Songs Let's just say that 'Only The Strong Survive' is a variation on the REO theme, in much the same way that 1991's The Storm was a variation on Journey. I'll admit to not playing this album often, but given my urge to complete a raft of 1992 articles, this one has had the spotlight applied to it. Tell me, are the lyrics to 'Tragedy' a reflection of the way events unfolded between Cronin and Richrath? You'd think so as you read between the lines. Still, Gary's trademark guitar style can be heard unaffected. 'Outlaws' is so REO influenced that it borders on the disturbingly doppleganger! 'Where I Pray' is a great number and builds beautifully throughout in a sweeping kind of way. 'Today' is all about acoustic melodies, though the Korg synth/sound effects are annoying (as familiar as I am with them). It's just as well I didn't break out with the lyric 'Heard it from a friend, who.. heard it a friend..' A distinctive drum pattern rolls out on 'Searchin', this one turns out to be a rabble-rouser with Jahnz hitting some high notes and Richrath firing out six-string salvos. The dubiously titled 'Holly Would' fits the mould of radio-oriented ballad, and it's an ok track despite my initial reservations. 'After All' resides in ballad territory too, I quite liked this, the vocal harmonies around chorus time were pretty good. 'Captured' features a strong organ presence, again adding to the REO comparison, though Jahnz's vocal hovers in the cloud mostly. 'Hearts On Fire' takes us back to the brimstone rock of REO's 'Nine Lives' (for mine, REO's best album), the energy here is absolutely bristling. Scratch the walls and lightning could be generated. The inclusion of two previous REO songs ('Hi-Infidelity's 'In Your Letter' and the title track 'Only The Strong Survive' from 'Nine Lives') was probably unnecessary considering my comments above about Richrath being an REO variation. The closer 'If The Nite Don't Getcha' is a barroom boogie workout; something well suited to REO's Neal Doughty's style of keyboard playing. Richrath also adds some stylish slide guitar work too. In Summary Not much more to add other than to say that REO fans should enjoy this for what it is. Strangely though, Gary Richrath has been missing in action ever since, though I'm sure he's active at a local level somewhere in Northern Illinois.

Line Up:

Gary Richrath Guitars, Background Vocals (R.I.P.2015) (Ex-Reo Speedwagoon)
Michael E. Jahnz Lead Vocals, Guitar, Background Vocals
Tracy Martins Drums
Jim Sorensen Bass
Dave Fraser Keyboards, Background Vocals
Robert A. Martin Piano, Synthesizers
Steve Weiss Keyboards On "Where I Pray"
Neil Norman Occasional Notes

Tracklist:

01. Tragedy
02. Outlaws
03. Where I Pray
04. Today
05. Searchin'
06. Holly Would
07. After All
08. Captured
09. Hearts On Fire
10. In Your Letter (Cover: REO Speedwagon)
11. Murder By Suicide
12. Only The Strong Survive
13. If The Nite Don't Get'cha

Obrázok Obrázok

Download links for all albums only on our blog here: http://goodmetalandhar.do.am/

Obrázok

Download links for all albums only on our blog here: http://goodmetalandhar.do.am/
Odkazy na stažení všech alb naleznete pouze na našem blogu zde: http://goodmetalandhar.do.am/

Návrat na "NOVINKY 1992 / NEWS 1992"

Kto je prítomný

Užívatelia prezerajúci toto fórum: Žiadny pripojení užívatelia a 7 neregistrovaných