Obrázok

Obrázok

Obrázok

Year : 1993
Style : Hard Rock , Blues Rock
Audio : 320 kbps + all scans + Video
Size : 144 mb

Bio:

Hard rock band from Los Angeles, California founded in 1991.In 1993 they released their first and only studio album.The band broke up in 1994.Sister Whiskey were a blues based hard rock band with country overtones, the kind you would hear late at night in a smoke filled bar. Financial turmoil killed the band after one pleasing album.Formed in Los Angeles, California by Dennis Lee Duncan (vocals), Tyler Gentile (guitar), Jack Aurora (guitar), Rich Florio (bass) and Gregg E. West. After creating enough controversy and notoriety on the Sunset Strip, they got a record deal on Warner Bros. with the help of Slaughter's Dana Strum. Strum produced their debut album, but had failed to mention that the record deal he had set up gave him a producer's fee plus 75% of all money the album made. The band grew tired of the money embezzling and backstabbing of the music business and disbanded. After 12 years apart the original members are currently together rehearsing and should be playing out summer 2009. Sister Whiskey never played together after being singed to Warner Bros.This will be there first performance in 12 years.

Album:

Sister Whiskey‘s one and only release was a fun album, full of entertaining songs. The standout tracks include “Simple Man”, “Can You Satisfy Me”, “Moonshine”, “Excuse Me”, “Edge Of The Night” and the slower number “Cryin’ Inside”. “I’d Lie To You For Your Love” is a raunchy number with some funny and witty lyrics. The sound here is very similar to the Black Crowes and a more upbeat Tattoo Rodeo, with a laid back approach that walks the fine line between bluesy hard rock and country influences. Sister Whiskey looked and sounded good, and deserved more recognition (not even production by Slaughter‘s Dana Strum made the public notice this album though). Liquor & Poker is very enjoyable and receives two thumbs up!This is a record that went completely unnoticed when it was released. Indeed, when Sister Whiskey's "Liquor & Poker" was released in 1993, there were changes in the American musical landscape and the music played by this US quintet did not correspond to the market laws of the time.Yet there was no lack of talent in Sister Whiskey. For more details about this American band, you should know that they excelled (I'm speaking in the imperfect tense because this quintet doesn't exist anymore) in hard bluesy music tinged with southern influences and that Dana Strum (Slaughter's bassist) was in charge of the production of their first album "Liquor & poker", whose cover is in perfect adequacy with the title."Simple man" sets the tone from the start: a lively, even danceable, upbeat mid-tempo on which singer Dennis Lee Duncan's warm, bourbon-worked voice works wonders and the bluesy guitars are full of vitality. Add to this a superb catchy chorus and you have the perfect track to get your feet tapping and your hands clapping. "Can You Satisfy Me", superbly supported by a punchy chorus, has a very live feel to it, accentuates the hard rock n' roll side of the band and, at the time, makes you want to go redneck and drive around in a Chevy in the American Wild West. The Black Crowes have to be careful: here's a top-of-the-range competitor, I'm telling you!You'll have understood: Sister Whiskey has something else to do than lamenting its fate or spending its days chasing dragons (especially since there can't be many of them on the American continent...). This is bluesy hard rock n' roll (am I repeating myself here?) that highlights the roots of American music and it's played remarkably well and with class. It's not the raw-sounding "Moonshine", "I'd lie to you for your love", the catchy and heady "Count me in" with its strong southern accents evoking the best of Lynyrd Skynyrd, "Sleepin' your life away" which has the knack of getting the adrenalin going like no other track, The groovy and incisive "Ain't 'bout love", "Edge of the night" and its syncopated rhythmic, the vigorous and punchy "Don't cha know ya need it" which will make me think the opposite, especially as the inspiration is there.And in the register of power-ballads, Sister Whiskey has done quite well. The muscular "Keep Waitin'", punctuated by an absolutely masterful finale (you have to listen to it to believe it), and the poignant and sensitive "Excuse Me", with its retro bluesy feeling, are really of high quality and many more renowned bands would be happy to have such power-ballads in their repertoire. On the other hand, "Cryin' inside" comes across as a southern ballad, too cheesy, too predictable to convince.What more can be said about this album? That it's full of qualities? The ingredients are there, after all: energy, sensitivity, warmth, feeling, punch, good production, excellent cohesion between musicians, very inspired and authentic compositions. It's with a certain delay that I discovered this "Liquor & poker" (11 years after its release, to be precise), but several listenings convinced me to consider it as a masterpiece unjustly neglected by the public as well as by the press. And the adventure ended there for Sister Whiskey, as each musician went his own way afterwards.

Line Up:

Dennis Lee Duncan - Lead Vocals, Harmonica
Tyler Gentile - Lead Guitar, Backing Vocals
Jack Aurora - Rhythm Guitar, Backing Vocals
Rich Florio - Bass Guitar, Backing Vocals
Gregg E. West - Drums, Backing Vocals

Additional Musicians:

Kenny Arnoff – percussion
Jimmy Z. – harmonica
Glenn Hughes – background vocals

Production:

Produced by Dana Strum
Recorded at Sonic Suites, American Recording and The Mobile Inc., Las Vegas, NV
Engineered by George Tutko
Mixed at Ocean Way Recording and Record One, Los Angeles
Mastered by Howie Weinberg at Masterdisc, NYC
Art Direction - Janet Levinson
Front Cover Image - Hugh Syme
Photography - Alastair Thain

Tracklist:

01. Simple Man
02. Can You Satisfy Me
03. Moonshine
04. Keep Waitin'
05. I'd Lie To You For Your Love
06. Excuse Me
07. Count Me In
08. Sleepin' Your Life Away
09. Ain't ' Bout Love
10. Edge Of The Night
11. Cryin' Inside
12. Don't Cha Know Ya Need It
13. Open Your Heart

+ Video "Simple Man" (Official Video)

Obrázok Obrázok

Download links for all albums only on our blog here: http://goodmetalandhar.do.am/

Obrázok

Download links for all albums only on our blog here: http://goodmetalandhar.do.am/
Odkazy na stažení všech alb naleznete pouze na našem blogu zde: http://goodmetalandhar.do.am/

Návrat na "NOVINKY 1993 / NEWS 1993"

Kto je prítomný

Užívatelia prezerajúci toto fórum: Žiadny pripojení užívatelia a 1 neregistrovaný