Wild Blue - No More Jinx (1986) (Renaissance Records Remastred Edition 2009)

hudební novinky 2009 / music news 2009
Užívateľov profilový obrázok
Horex
Metalový král
Metalový král
Dátum registrácie: 21 Feb 2013, 19:14
Kontaktovať užívateľa:

Príspevokod užívateľa Horex » 10 Apr 2019, 14:32

Obrázok

Obrázok

Obrázok

Obrázok

Obrázok

Year : 1986 (Renaissance Records Remastred Edition 2009)
Style : Melodic Rock , Female vocals
Audio : 320 kbps + all scans + Video
Size : 138 mb

Bio:

Wild Blue were originally from Chicago, and were previously known as Jinx. As history would have it, there appeared to be a lot of hi-jinx with this version of the band. Let's take a history lesson. As mentioned, Wild Blue formed as a springboard from the band Jinx which performed locally in clubs in and around the Chicago area. Their most formative period saw keyboardist Joe Zanona, bassist Terry Curtain and former Trillion member Frank Barbalace as key players; though the trio were still looking for a female vocalist and a drummer. On board came drummer Mike Netf and Vlfisconsin raised singer Renee Varo. Wild Blue raised their profile locally, with gigs and then record deals. The first (and ultimately the best) deal came from Chryalis Records, a label better represented in the UK with a strong roster over there. The history books would show that this band was nothing more than a vehicle for singer Renee Varo, but this was not the case, as she was a late addition to the band lineup. The band however struck problems when Chrysalis decided to take only Varo and Zanona to London to record one half of the 'No More Jinx’ album with a spate of hired guns being used instead, leaving the other band members behind. As a consequence, Curtain and Neff quit, leaving Barbalace to hold the fort back Stateside. Varo and Zanona rejoined Barbalace and some local hired guns, including drummer Ken Harck previously from Off Broadway. The resulting material though strong, was not cohesive. It certainly wasn‘t what Chrysalis were looking for, as the whole thing came off sounding overly slick.WILD BLUE is band that had a hard time settling on a name. I guess that this is something of a sequel to the article on last month's UARB, Tina and the Total Babes, since this band is a part of the scene that T&TB's were saluting in their 2001 album. The Wild Blue album showed up just as the New Wave was ebbing, and that might have been the reason that it was overlooked.Wild Blue grew out of a Chicago group called Jinx that toiled in the local club scene beginning in the late 1970's. The core members of this band were Joe Zanona (keyboards), Terry Curtin (bass guitar), and Frank Barbalace (guitars). They had been looking for a female vocalist, and they found one in Renee Varo; Mike Neff was also added as the drummer. A few years later though, they got a dreaded call: There was a cabaret singer from California who had been using the name Jinx for some 15 years. They tried to work out a deal with her, but to no avail, so they started calling themselves Wild Blue. Thus, the name of their first LP, No More Jinx is basically an inside joke. The band had already been signed to a two-album deal with Chrysalis Records, and they began laying down the tracks for their first album in 1985. Chrysalis caused unnecessary friction in the band, however, by flying Renee Varo and Joe Zanona over to London to record half of the album with other studio musicians. (They were also the only two bandmembers to make the front cover). About this time, Terry Curtin and Mike Neff quit; they were replaced by Mike Gorman (bass) and Ken Harck (drums), two members of a late 1970's Chicago power-pop band called Off Broadway (Mike Neff had also been in that band). Also, Chrysalis decided that they wanted to try to find a new name for the band – they had liked Jinx, but not Wild Blue – and they delayed the release of the album until early 1986, leaving the band in limbo for several months. By October 1985, it had been over a year since their last live date. Frank Barbalace is also a member of a well-regarded progressive-rock band (also from Chicago) called Trillion. I won't say anything more about that for now, because they will likely be a future UARB before the end of the year. Anyway, Frank Barbalace is ambitiously advertising on his website a two-CD collection of most of his recorded works – Wild Blue, Trillion and other material, including some that he did with who I gather is his wife Rebecca Barbalace in a band called Ondavon – for a $50 tab. Oddly, there are only three tracks from the No More Jinx album that are listed. He was one of the bandmembers who was left behind when most of the recording was done across the pond; and these are the songs that he co-wrote, though he also played guitar on one of the best songs on the album, "Fire with Fire". But what is interesting about this offer is that this is the only reference on the Internet that I have been able to find of a second album by Wild Blue called Primitive Prayer. Primitive Prayer is evidently the new name of the band as well, since the name Wild Blue had been dropped according to several newspaper and magazine articles about the "upcoming album", and it was to come out on a different label called Pasha Records. Besides these various articles though – and there were quite a few of them, which tells me that Wild Blue had a lot of fans, at least in the Chicago area – I could find nothing else about the album other than what is available on his website. Whether the album was actually released or not is unknown to me.Allmusic does list a second album called Above and Beyond, but it is a 2004 release by a band called Wild Blue Yonder; as far as I can tell, there is no connection with Wild Blue. The band that comes to mind when I think of Wild Blue is a long-time favorite of mine called Face to Face (not the punk rock band of the early 1990's also called Face to Face), which released several albums in the 1980's and had a minor hit with "10-9-8". While not part of the Christian contemporary music scene, they were instead a mainstream rock band that soft-pedaled their Christianity. Their eponymous first album, Face to Face (released in 1984) features a song called "Under the Gun" that – like Blondie's early foray into hip-hop, "Rapture" (from 1980) – includes a long verse that is spoken rather than sung. I can't prove it, but from what I can tell, this qualifies as the first Christian rap song. After many years of hunting, I found two later albums by Face to Face, plus a 12" single for 10-9-8.

Album:

"No More Jinx", the only album by WILD BLUE, in its remastered form. The album appeared in 1986 and listed in some catalogs to be one of the first to be released on CD, but never happened. So "No More Jinx" only was available on vinyl LP and cassette.Formed in Chicago i nthe early '80s, previously known as 'Jinx', by keyboardist Joe Zanona and guitarist Frank Barbalace (ex- pomp AORsters Trillion), the line-up was completed with bassist Terry Curtain, drummer Mike Neff, and Wisconsin raised singer Renee Varo.Their sound was relatively unusual at the time, a harder-edged version of new wave mixed with radio-Rock AOR and some hard rock edge.Jinx built a strong following on the local club circuit, and around 1984 the quintet caught the attention of Chrysalis Records, which signed them a record deal.While recording, Chrysalis wasn't satisfied with some of the material, and decided to take only Varo and Zanona to London to re-record several songs with session musicians.Some of these are talented Gene Black (Device, Mark Free), and Pat Mastelotto (Mr Mister).This issue delayed the release of the album, but there was another problem. A California cabaret singer also went by the name 'Jinx' for more than 15 years, and legally she had the name sewn up.So the band decided to re-name Wild Blue - ''We`ve always been pretty wild, fun people,'' said Renee Varo at the time - ''and with Chicago being associated with the blues thing, it seemed to fit.''Then, the title of the album "No More Jinx" is a joke about the original band name drop.Musically, the album is quite varied.In terms of sound / songwriting, "No More Jinx" screams '80s Movie Soundtrack' in style. Opener 'Only You' is a catchy pop rocker plenty of synths, some kind of mix between Berlin and Scandal.'Nowhere Left To Run' is very '80s with some cool hi-tech on it, same with 'Blue Daze' and its Device feel all over, and there's AORish melodies in 'When I Think About You'.But my favorites are the pumping AOR of ''Fire With Fire' (it was played over the end credits of the Virginia Madsen-Craig Sheffer movie of the same title) and the melodic rocker' 'Give Me A Reason' where the band showcases their 'rock' delivery.Also to mention is the synth / guitar driven 'International Language Of Dance', mixing glossy atmospheres with a pulsating groove.This Renaissance Records reissue is the only WILD BLUE's "No More Jinx" available on CD. This label is known for their dubious digital transfers from vinyl, not always recommended.However, this digitally mastered CD of "No More Jinx" CD sounds very good, pretty clear and balanced.Be aware there's two Renaissance versions, and this new one is the fine. The best you can get form this good '80s album.

Line Up:

Rennee Varo - vocals
Joe Zanona - keyboards, synths

with:

Frank Barbalace - guitars on 2
Gene Black - guitars
David West - keyboards
Mel Collins - saxophone
Mark Leonard, Pino Palladino, Mike Gorman - bass
Graham Broad, Ken Harck, Curly Smith, Pat Mastelotto - drums

Tracklist:

01. Only You
02. Fire With Fire
03. Nowhere Left To Run
04. When I Think About You
05. Blue Daze
06. Give Me A Reason
07. Leather Blues
08. Taboo
09. International Language Of Dance

+ Video "Fire With Fire" (Official Video)

Obrázok Obrázok

Download links for all albums only on our blog here: http://goodmetalandhar.do.am/

Obrázok

Download links for all albums only on our blog here: http://goodmetalandhar.do.am/
Odkazy na stažení všech alb naleznete pouze na našem blogu zde: http://goodmetalandhar.do.am/

Návrat na "NOVINKY 2009 / NEWS 2009"

Kto je prítomný

Užívatelia prezerajúci toto fórum: Žiadny pripojení užívatelia a 7 neregistrovaných