Wayward Sons - The Truth Ain't What It Used To Be (2019)

hudební novinky 2019 / music news 2019
Užívateľov profilový obrázok
Horex
Metalový král
Metalový král
Dátum registrácie: 21 Feb 2013, 19:14
Kontaktovať užívateľa:

Príspevokod užívateľa Horex » 08 Okt 2019, 15:04

Obrázok

Obrázok

Obrázok

Obrázok

Obrázok

Year : 2019
Style : Hard Rock
Audio : 320 kbps + scans
Size : 139 mb

Bio:

Wayward Sons began life early in 2016 after Italian Record label Frontiers approached Toby Jepson with the idea of making a solo album. This was not something that initially rang true with Toby having spent most of his career as a British Rock musician in bands. From the early days of Little Angels, through Toby and The Whole Truth, The Toby Jepson band in the early noughties, into GUN, Fastway and Dio’s Disciples, it had always been about bands, groups of people joining together to say something, to create together, to perform together.The answer, at first, was ‘thanks, but no thanks’.But Frontiers kept the conversation open, and slowly the idea took root in Toby’s mind enough to start tentative conversations with other musicians. Why was it such a difficult a decision? Toby will tell you that he had no intention of making new music without the right ‘feel good’ situation, without the desire from all to fully commit to something that felt relevant, passionate and rooted in a song centric approach. This HAD to be a re-birth, a solid step forward and not a re-treading of old steps. Besides, he knew the fans would see through it.This was back to the drawing board. No compromise.The first player Toby spoke to was an old mate from back in the early days of the Angels, bass player Nic Wastell. Nic had begun his career in Leicester band Chrome Molly. The Mollies had been label mates with LA for a while and indeed had spent sometime on the road together. It’s true to say that much was learned from the watching the band at a time when the young Scarborough band was getting to grips with themselves. Nic will tell you how the band often slept on the floor of his flat.Nic and Toby had begun working together again after meeting at a mutual friend’s wedding, chatting about old times and the desire for Chrome Molly to make a new record, so the initial relationship was one of producer/ artist. To date Toby has produced two albums for the band. What was most potent about this start, was Nic’s interest in helping Toby get back on the recording trail and ultimately onto stages, and conversations were had long before Frontiers came knocking, so it was clear Nic had a focus and desire. It goes without saying that he jumped at the chance.One of Toby’s main thrusts of work is production, specifically of new young hopefuls. It started with The Virginmarys and has led onto Toseland, Illustr8ors and the Treason Kings. It was within the ranks of the latter, that the Wayward Sons guitar player was found. Sam Wood is a young player, a product of modernity but rooted solidly in the classics. Sam has a love of all the same bands as Toby but smartly doesn’t discriminate between ‘old’ and new, it’s about nothing more than great music. Sam brings an alternative, searching, demanding style to his playing that Toby knew would fit well with his concept of pushing his personal boundaries. The Treason Kings were good enough to let Sam take part in WS, as they continue to develop themselves. Again, after initial conversations Sam committed to the project. He plays Les Pauls, owns probably the best guitar in the world – a Gibson 335 – and is a stalwart Marshall aficionado.Next up, the biggest, most difficult search for any band – finding a drummer. It’s is perhaps the hardest decision to make for rock bands as the backbone of any band resides with the rhythm, the groove, the beat. Toby has had the pleasure of working with some of the worlds greats, starting with Michael Lee then Pete Thomas and Mark Richardson. Hard acts to follow. However, ever the keen eye, Toby had spotted London player Phil Martini, at the High Voltage Festival when he was playing with Joe Elliott and The Down and Outz.After checking out his resume which also included playing for acts as diverse as Tokyo Dragons, Spear of Destiny and Jim Jones, a call was made and the two met for coffee to chat. It was clear the two had a lot in common and without actually playing together, Phil was invited into the band. It was no surprise to find that once they rehearsed that Phil’s style was perfect for the project. A player of power and subtlety, a groove King who plays for the song, an exceptionally musical drummer who has innate natural instincts for his instrument.The final member really needs no introduction, Dave Kemp has been Toby’s wing man now for some years, having not only toured acoustically with him, but has also become a co-writing partner in several other music projects. Dave is a multi talented player, being able to play the keyboards of all varieties as well as a myriad of wind instruments. It’s Is Dave’s wonderful humour that informs his playing as well as a natural affinity with song and interpretation. Dave will be playing keys mainly in this band, and will no doubt be greeted with a warm welcome by the fans old and new.So there we have it; The Wayward Sons. Name? Why? Well, those who have been long time fans of Toby and Little Angels will recognise the phrase from ‘Kickin Up Dust’ which in turn was paraphrased by Toby from the Kansas song. To Toby it rang a bell years ago when he was writing the first Angels’ album, coming to represent the spirit of freedom, of searching for that alternative life, of Rock n roll, so it seemed like the obvious choice when naming the band. This was never going to be a solo project, this was always going to be a band.The debut album is now written and recording takes place in November 2016. To date the band have kept the sound and form of the music close to their chests. But inside sources tell tales of simple, to the point rock n roll, with an alternative edge. As ever, Toby has a desire to speak as much truth as possible, It is this, he believes, that will ultimately connect, as bands and the art of telling a story with focus and a real sense of the unique are perhaps needed more today in these troubled modern times than at any time in recent history.Frontiers will release the as yet untitled debut album from Wayward Sons in the spring of 2017. From there the road beckons once again, so expect a live band bristling with songs and eager to tell new tales.

Album:

The album itself could be called a concept record, as there is a thread that connects the twelve tracks but singer/guitarist and songwriter Toby Jepson, prefers to call it a ‘protest’ record and describes the new material as ‘political’ but not the sort that seeks to hammer the message home, more of a reflection on his take on where the world and we are.So what of the album. Historically, many bands have found great difficulty with their second albums and I wondered if Wayward Sons would have those same issues when I first received it. I needn’t have had any concerns though as this is one of the finest slabs of guitar driven hard rock that I have heard this year.I have been fortunate enough to be able to play it and play it whilst preparing to review it and each time I have heard it, there has been something new that has hit me. One of the first things that struck me was the feeling that this was a real band effort. After all those shows and time spent together, a band comfortable with each other, a band growing equally with each other and a band that have all had their input into the writing and recording process.Those band members have all brought their own influences to the table which is so evident and between them they have created an album of epic proportions. Yes it really is that good.After all those listens, I have not got bored with it, in fact the complete opposite, the more I hear it, the more I want to listen to it. It feels like a new best friend, something I want to spend as much time with as I can, to really get to know as well as I possibly can.If I could take it down the pub, buy it a beer and introduce it to my other mates I would. The quality of the song writing is exceptional but then in my opinion Toby Jepson is one of the best songwriters of his generation. Each and every song is different yet they all compliment each other superbly and the album flows sublimely between tempo’s to create a heavenly listening pleasure and take you on a ride that you just don’t want to stop.Opening track “Any Other Way” starts off with a chugging guitar riff before that familiar voice comes in over it, The drums then build the intensity of the track even more before the full band kick in and you get the full Sons assault.That chugging riff is there throughout the track, which has a really infectious beat to it and is full of those wonderful melodic overtones and some really special harmonious vocal parts.“As Black As Sin”, the shortest song on the album, has a mesmerising, swirling guitar riff and a truly sumptuous electrifying solo that make this punchy little rocker really stand out, This is followed by “Joke’s On You” which kicks in with a prominent keyboard intro that in some way reminds me of 70’s era E-Street Band, The track has been part of their live set this year and having been available to listen to since July should give some familiarity to the proceedings.The quality of Toby’s vocals really stand out here and I think he sounds as good as he has ever done. The track has yet another electrifying solo and the build up to the finish is quite exquisite.Three tracks in and what is evident is that all the songs are distinctly different to each other yet all clearly fall into what Wayward Sons are about. Track four, “Little White Lies” has a real slow burning, almost smouldering start to it before developing into a luscious mid-tempo rocker with some heavy Queen influences in the guitar work. In fact, you could be forgiven for thinking that Brian May himself had played the guitar parts, they are that good.“Feel Good Hit” has one of those to die for choruses that just gets you singing along at will. Kicking in with a majestic staccato guitar part it turns into a really powerful track and sees Toby really let rip with his vocal parts, It is a compelling number full of harmonies with the guitars and rhythm section driving the song throughout and leads us nicely into “Fade Away”, which is just a gargantuan piece of music.The first minute of this song, with Dave’s keyboard / piano parts so prominent really grabs your attention and your heart. It is poetic balladry at it’s finest and the way the track then builds over the next minute or so is just spellbinding, It is a monstrous song that makes you think of so many of the great 70’s icons in the way it is written and then to top it all off you get yet another Queen inspired guitar solo and guitar sound that sent me into dreamland, For me, “Fade Away” is the icing on the cake to a stunningly great album.It shows the versatility in the band, both in their playing and songwriting and if we were still in a world where rock bands got decent radio play on the mainstream stations it would open them up to a whole new fanbase much like Wanted Dead or Alive did for Bon Jovi or November Rain did for Guns N Roses. In fact, this song is easily as good as both of those and deserves to be talked about alongside them.“Have It Your Own Way” takes the temp right back up again, a fast paced rocker with a punchy intro and riff throughout and then there is “Long Line of Pretenders” next. Another track with Mr Kemps keyboards very prominent and yet another different guitar sound. To my ear this has a real Little Angels vibe to it and like all their tracks just gets your feet and fingers tapping along. “(If Only) God Was Real” is a real in your face rocker. Intense, electrifying and a track that needs to be played LOUD! The power in the rhythm section of Phil and Nick is right there and the onslaught of guitars from Toby and Sam is just monumental.Title track “The Truth Ain’t What It Used To Be” is a divine plodding rocker with a mesmerising beat to it. Built around a killer riff with some glorious time changes and lyrically just out of this world. It starts drawing us to the end of the album but not before the band take the tempo right back up again with “Punchline”, a fast, fast, fast paced song that is aggressive, yet harmonious and melodic. It has time changes, another rip roaring guitar solo and a sudden finish that catches you off guard.This is Wayward Sons rocking at their best!Bringing this album to a close is “Us Against The World”. Like many of the tracks on the album you can hear the influences they have pulled from yesteryear, whether it be Queen, Bowie, Elvis Costello or any of those other greats. Some bands would just love to write one song of this quality but Toby and his band of Wayward Sons have written a whole album of them. Each track is equally different but equally appealing. Just compare this last track to it’s predecessor and you will know what I mean.Just when you think that is it, the album runs silently on and you get a gem of a hidden track called “Totally Screwed”. Whatever you do don’t miss this as it has a real jump up and down beat to it. It is an angry sing-a-long party number full of angst fuelled lyrics with an sort of punk influenced chant at the end that brings the album to a climatic finish.The Truth Ain’t What It Used To Be is just one complete album of killer tracks. It is full of song writing of the highest calibre and really captures the feel and energy of the band perfectly. I know the band are proud of this album and quite rightly so. Ghost laid the foundations for them and Truth has built on those foundations in quite spectacular fashion. Go out and buy this album on release date if you haven’t already pre-ordered it otherwise you will be missing out on one of the best albums of 2019 and then the Joke really is on you!

Line-Up:

Toby Jepson - Vocals/Guitar
Nic Wastell - Bass
Phil Martini - Drums
Sam Wood - Guitar
Dave Kemp - Keyboards

Tracklist:

01. Any Other Way
02. Black As Sin
03. Joke's On You
04. Little White Lies
05. Feel Good Hit
06. Fade Away
07. Have It Your Own Way
08. Long Line Of Pretenders
09. (If Only) God Was Real
10. The Truth Ain't What It Used To Be
11. Punchline
12. Us Against The World

Obrázok Obrázok

Download links for all albums only on our blog here: http://goodmetalandhar.do.am/

Obrázok

Download links for all albums only on our blog here: http://goodmetalandhar.do.am/
Odkazy na stažení všech alb naleznete pouze na našem blogu zde: http://goodmetalandhar.do.am/

Návrat na "NOVINKY 2019 / NEWS 2019"

Kto je prítomný

Užívatelia prezerajúci toto fórum: Žiadny pripojení užívatelia a 9 neregistrovaných