Mindgames (BEL)

Progressive Metal , Progressive Rock , Avantgarde....
Užívateľov profilový obrázok
Horex
Metalový král
Metalový král
Dátum registrácie: 21 Feb 2013, 19:14
Kontaktovať užívateľa:

Mindgames (BEL)

Príspevokod užívateľa Horex » 15 Júl 2016, 14:56

Mindgames - Paradox Of Choice (Digipak Edition) (2015)

Obrázok

Obrázok

Obrázok

Obrázok

Obrázok

Obrázok

Year : 2015
Style : Progressive Rock
Audio : 320 kbps + all scans
Size : 170 mb

Info:

Mindgames is a progressive rock band from Belgium. The band was founded in 1997 by Eric Vandormael (bass) and Bart Schram (vocals). After placing a few ads in music magazines they recruited Benny Petak (drums, percussion) and Tom Truyers (piano, keyboards). In 1999 as a four-piece they recorded a demo, featuring the songs Mental Argue, Signs From The Sky, and Dreamin' The Circus.In 2000 Rudy Van Der Veken (guitars) joined, so completing the line-up of the band. The end of 2002 saw the release of their debut CD International Daylight, an album that shows the strong influences on the band of Yes, Jethro Tull, Genesis and Frank Zappa. Later on International Daylight came to be distributed by the French label Musea Records. Thanks to this the band received wider exposure and garnered favourable reviews internationally.Mindgames subsequently built up a strong live reputation, taking time off in 2005 to compose new songs. At the beginning of 2006 the band released their second album Actors In A Play, produced by Frank Van Bogaert. The concept album is a six-act story, focusing on each of the 'actors' in turn before finally coming to the inevitable conclusion that the world is itself just one giant play. The CD sold especially well in Germany.Irreconcilable musical differences, which became apparent during writing and recording Actors In A Play, resulted in the departure of co-founder Eric Vandormael. His replacement Maximilian von Wüllerstorff made his debut on bass for the band's third album MMX, released on New Year's Day, 2010.

Album:

I've followed the Belgian progressive rock act Mindgames more or less since their debut album, International Daylight, from 2002. At the time, I was pleasantly surprised that they did NOT play prog metal (which I somehow expected due to the name starting with 'mind') and that they had jazz-rock influences in their sound. Over the years, it appears that they've shed the jazz-rock in their sound (a pity) even though I still have to listen their third CD MMX (see review) from 2010. On MMX the band presented a new bass player, Maximillian von Wüllerstorff. Also, the new album Paradox Of Choice brings a new member: Sandro Starita playing electric, rhythm and acoustic guitars and mandolin. The others have been in Mindgames ever since the start: singer Bart Schram, keyboard player Tom Truyers and drummer Benny Petak. Musically we find the band playing neo progressive rock on the heavier side of the spectrum.After the short spoken Prologue (I believe a quote of quality management guru W. Edward Deming) we launch right in with The Whistle Blower. The sound reminds me pleasantly of some 1990s neo prog groups. Arena pops to mind, but also and especially IQ (post-Ever) is clearly an inspiration. One thing that stands out are the strong vocals (even if they are at the edge of their range sometimes) coupled to good songs and good musicianship. This we can hear in The Age Of Plenty which is the first long track, that takes all the qualities from the previous piece and stretches them over double the time, adding a dreamy, almost meditative ending. The next track Out Of Sight has an acoustic start from which piano and keyboards emerge. Later we get a wonderful soaring guitar solo (a bit Pink Floyd like, but different). The following piece Revenge Of The Wizard takes a highly theatrical turn and almost reminds me of operetta. While amusing I find it one of the rare weaker moments of the disc because I know that this is going to be annoying over repeated listening. But, still there is some nice slightly dissonant instrumental work in there.Requiem For A Dancing World is another longer piece that clearly draws on symphonic bombast and reminds me of something that I can't put my finger on. Halfway through there is a change of scenery where the band briefly toys with African influences (at least that's what it sounds like) and launches into a fast-paced instrumental part that would do very well in a chase-sequence in an action movie. I love the old-fashioned sounding lead-synthesizers in this track, by the way. Then the track explodes in a climax that picks up the theme from the start (is it Pendragon? maybe Arena?). Context? Anyone? is the shortest track. Again there is an acoustic start and then a pleasant melodic neo prog track. The Sands Of Time starts with great soaring guitar and piano before picking up a filmic direction (a bit of Bond-theme there, maybe?). Somehow the song regrettably doesn't manage to keep my attention, but luckily there is closer From A Drone's Perspective. This starts bombastic then suddenly we are surprised with funky guitar and some elements that come interestingly close to disco! A bombastic finale provides a fine ending for both this track and the CD.Another very fine album. As far as I'm concerned, Mindgames' best so far!

Line-Up:

Bart Schram (Vocals, Accoustic Guitar)
Sandro Starita (Electric Lead and Rhythm Guitar)
Tom Truyers (Piano, Synthesizers, Hammond, EFX)
Maximilian von Wullerstorff (Bass)
Benny Petak (Drums, Percussion)

Tracklist:

01. Prologue
02. The Whistle-Blower
03. The Age Of Plenty
04. Out Of Sight
05. Revenge Of The Wizard
06. Requiem For A Dancing World
07. Context? Anyone?
08. The Sands Of Time
09. From A Drone's Perspective

Obrázok Obrázok

Download links for all albums only on our blog here: http://goodmetalandhar.do.am/

Obrázok

Download links for all albums only on our blog here: http://goodmetalandhar.do.am/
Odkazy na stažení všech alb naleznete pouze na našem blogu zde: http://goodmetalandhar.do.am/

Návrat na "PROGRESSIVE Metal, PROGRESSIVE Rock"

Kto je prítomný

Užívatelia prezerajúci toto fórum: Žiadny pripojení užívatelia a 12 neregistrovaných